Tuesday 24 July 2012

Nursery DIY






Well I've decided to get creative! I've always been a little creative- but it was always the kind of creative that just floated around in my head and never really amounted to anything in the real world. And then.... along came pinterest! .... Its like a magical place where you can browse through other  ( much more) creative people's minds for hours-- marvelling over beautiful diy projects and original ideas.... and totally procrastinate from doing anything remotely productive yourself. Fantastic.
I decided I would change all of that and become a "do'er".  haha...
Alas- baby nursery is officially in progress... and is definitely a bit of a pinterest experiment.

I guess I can get some credit for being proactive in already painting the nursery/ baby room ( or whatever I am suppose to call it... haha- nursery sounds so old fashioned but I'll go with it). Actually most of the credit goes to the girls that gave up their afternoon to help me paint it.
It went from a plain ol' white to a bright and colorful turquoise/aqua color ( which I have since been banned from painted anything else in or around the house after a bit of a painting spree.... Sorry Rob). At the time it seemed like a "safe" choice because it was happy and gender neutral. I guess safe would have been a more gentle, soft color.... but I am fully committed now :)  ( did I mention its the same color as my prom dress from a decade ago)...

Back to the pinterest idea--- that would be our adventures in paper bag floors! Basically its a bunch of brown craft paper ripped up and paper mached to the floor with school glue. Then its stained and coated with some sort of poly sealer ( I'm not doing any of the chemically parts Mom)... and the final result is supposed to be an inexpensive - leather look-a-like- diy floor! We shall see.  But so far so good if I do say so myself!


Getting the supplies... and preparing to spend hrs on the floor ripping & scrunching paper....getting covered head to toe in glue :)

  
Day #1-- making some progress. Starting to cover the bare floor with craft paper... lol... hope it works!
You also get to feast your eyes on the colorful walls!

Almost finished phase one! ( that was my job!)

All the paper laid! Feeling pretty proud...A little dirty and a lot sore from all that bending and kneeling! lol...

Robby's turn! Hard at work doing some staining for the crazy craft lady!


Starting to look pretty neat! This was my last look before I fled the room for good until "phase 2" is dry! More pictures soon to follow!
It might not be your typical nursery-- but hopefully it all comes together in the end.. ( much like the whole naming baby issue). Now-- just to add the finishing coat... some shiny new baseboards.... oh ya!... and a bunch of baby furniture yet to be determined ;) Hopefully she's enjoying her current living accomadations in the womb for a few more months and gives mommy and daddy some time to step up their game.

Here's a few pictures I have come across of others who have chosen similar wall colors-- I like the top three the best I think... but still trying to figure out just exactly what other colors to use. Suggestions are always welcome! :)






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment